The Expiration property will only be available when a User Task Type is selected. All System Task Types will turn the Expiration option grey. Expiration sends a notification to a particular User that the Task has expired.
- The time frame/expiration can be set in Minutes, Hours, or Days.
- At least one valid Email needs to be added (ideally, it needs to be an individual that is in the Group that you are assigning that Task to)
- NOTE: This will NOT notify a User when there are Tasks in their Queue OR when a task is about to expire.
- The Task Type is Assign Relationship and is assigned to the Supervisor Group.
- The Workflow is to route an Employee (Entity Type) to the Supervisor’s Task Queue when there is no Relationship for Employee-Manager
In the example below, the Expiration is set to 2 days:
- At the end of the second day from when the Task was assigned an Expiration email will be sent to email@example.com
- NOTE: the Task can still be completed from the Queue even though it has expired.
The Quality Assurance (QA) property will only be available when a User Task Type is selected. All System Task Types will turn the QA option grey. Example:
- The Task Type is Populate Custom Fields and is assigned to the Supervisor Group.
- The Workflow is to route a Delivery Report to the Supervisor’s Task Queue when there is a Date of Order, but the Date of Delivery is Null (see Criteria and Details Set-Up).
- For Quality Control (QC) purposes, Senior Management wants 100% QA of a Supervisor’s work for populating the Date of Delivery.
In the example below, by setting the QA as Required:
- All Users in the Supervisors Group will see the “Test for QA Property” in the Task section on their Home Screen.
- All Users in the EdomaAdmin Group will see the “Test for QA Property “ in the Quality Assurance section on their Home Screen.
The Scheduled Task property is to allow the system to execute a function on an Entity or Document that has a Date field in the past.
- NOTE: A Task can also be set up through the Criteria to do the same thing, without having Periodic Task turned on.
- The Task Type is System Add Journal Entry.
- The Workflow is to add a Journal Entry to a Delivery Report (Document Type) after 5 days IF the Date of Delivery Is Null.
In the example below, by setting the Periodic Task Time Frame to Next 5 Days from the Date of Order:
- The system will add a Journal Entry stating that the Delivery was never made.
- NOTE: In a Real-World scenario, a Sequential Task could be added to this Task to route the document to a Supervisors Queue to perform a follow-up action.
Sort is used for User Tasks (i.e. Populate Custom Fields, Assign Relationship, etc.) and will cause the Documents or Entities to sort in the Task Queues by a specified Custom Field.
- Select the desired Custom Field that the Queue should be sorted by
- Select whether Ascending (ASC) or Descending (DESC)
Resubmit task on criteria match
This feature allows a Document or Entity to run through a Workflow Task more than once.
NOTE: Be careful how you set this up; you want to avoid an infinite loop.
- PLEASE CONSULT YOUR ACCOUNT MANAGER AND/OR A MEMBER OF THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM TO REVIEW YOUR WORKFLOW BEFORE YOU CLICK “ACTIVE”
See the example scenario below: A Document Type (Package) was incorrectly processed and needs to be moved to the Archive Folder. However, if it gets moved back to the ROOT Folder to be worked on, then needs to be moved back to Archive later down the line, this workflow will move it again.
- NOTE: In the Search Criteria, by having the “ Folder” set to Not Equals Archive, we have prevented an infinite loop.
Dependent task completion
This feature is VERY important on Tasks that have a Parent Task (i.e. Sequential Tasks). This is NOT required for the FIRST Task but IS imperative for ALL the remaining Sequential Tasks.
In the previous example, the Workflow Task set the "Status" of the Incident Report back to “Pending Approval”, after 7 days from the last Updated Date. This next Task is:
- Given a User Task Type of Populate Custom Fields
- Assigned to the EdomaAdmin Group
- Assigned a Parent Task of “Test for Resubmit”
Notice that the Search Criteria incorporates some of the same Criteria from the previous Task.
- NOTE: It is important to mirror the values of the Custom Fields as a Document or Entity comes out of one Task and into the next.
Some of the other attributes that are given to this Task are:
- a. Instructions to the User
- b. Journal Entry Required - User will not be able to complete the Task without entering a Journal
Custom Field is “Status” – The User will
NOT be able to edit
Custom Fields while working this
- Required equals "Yes" - this will force the User to change/populate this value
- No Constraint Criteria was necessary - This will allow the User to select any of the items from the “Status” drop-down menu.
Auto Complete Task
There are times when a Document or Entity enters a User Workflow Task, but the editing and/or manipulation takes place outside the Task Queue. When this happens, a Document or Entity no longer meets the Task Criteria; however, it does not leave the Queue.
Auto Complete Task will recognize when a Document or Entity does not meet the criteria any longer and will set the Task Status (a back-end stored-value) to “Complete”, thus moving it out of the Task Queue.
- From the previous example, an Incident Report could be worked from a User/Group Saved Search instead of the User/Group Task Queue. By enabling Auto Complete Task, the Incident Report will move out of the queue when a Supervisor makes edits to the Custom Fields outside the Task.